Skip to content

Month: April 2017

Get isActivity from Metadata

Posted in Dynamics 365, and Revive

This week I had to differentiate between normal entities and activities in Javascript. I had a look into the SDK and remembered my previous post “Get EntitySetName from Metadata“. A little modification and I get true or false from the ‘isActivity’ information in the metadata.

Here it is fo you: Get isActivity from Metadata

function isActivity(strEntityLogicalName)
{
    var req = new XMLHttpRequest();
    req.open("GET", Xrm.Page.context.getClientUrl() + "/api/data/v8.0/" +
        "EntityDefinitions(LogicalName='" + strEntityLogicalName + "')?$select=IsActivity", false);
    req.setRequestHeader("OData-MaxVersion", "4.0");
    req.setRequestHeader("OData-Version", "4.0");
    req.setRequestHeader("Accept", "application/json");
    req.setRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/json; charset=utf-8");
    req.onreadystatechange = function ()
    {
        if (this.readyState === 4)
        {
            req.onreadystatechange = null;
            if (this.status === 200)
            {
                var result = JSON.parse(this.response);
                var isActivity = result.IsActivity;
            }
        }
    };
    req.send();
}

isActivity

CalculateRollupField with WebApi function in Javascript

Posted in Dynamics 365, and Revive

Microsoft added with Service Pack 1 a new function called “CalculateRollupField” in Dynamics CRM (v 8.1) which enables us to recalculate a rollup field on demand.
I will show you here how you can use it in Javascript with a http request against the WebApi.

The CalculateRollupField function inside the webrequest needs a few parameter to know which rollup field you want to to calulate:

  • The EntitySetName of the target record.
    I wrote here how you can get the EntitySetName from the Metadata with an webrequest too.
  • The GUID of the target record.
  • The schema name of the target field.

CalculateRollupField in Javascript:

function calcRollupField(strTargetEntitySetName, strTargetRecordId, strTargetFieldName)
{
    strTargetRecordId = strTargetRecordId.replace("{", "").replace("}", "");
    var req = new XMLHttpRequest();
    req.setRequestHeader("OData-Version", "4.0");
    req.setRequestHeader("OData-MaxVersion", "4.0");
    req.open("GET", Xrm.Page.context.getClientUrl() + "/api/data/v8.2/" +
        "CalculateRollupField(Target=@p1,FieldName=@p2)?" +
        "@p1={'@odata.id':'" + strTargetEntitySetName + "(" + strTargetRecordId + ")'}&" +
        "@p2='" + strTargetFieldName + "'", true);

    req.onreadystatechange = function ()
    {
        if (this.readyState === 4)
        {            
            req.onreadystatechange = null;
            if (this.status === 200)
            {
                var results = JSON.parse(this.response);
            }
            else
            {
                Xrm.Utility.alertDialog(this.statusText);
            }
        }
    };    
    req.send(JSON.stringify({}));
}

The answer of the webservice for the CalculateRollupField function contains the value for the target field, the date of the last calculation and its state.

Missing privilege for editable grids

Posted in Dynamics 365, and Revive

In one of our last projects we used an editable grid from Microsoft, but had a strange issue.
Read here how we detected and identified a missing privilege for editable grids.

Issue

During testing with an user account we found that the editable grid for a custom entity does not render. For admins is all fine.
This is how it should look.

This what it actually was.

Analysis

First thing we’ve checked was whether someone has changed the form rendering mode because¬†editable subgrids don’t work on legacy forms. But it was still correct set.

Also we checked the known editable grids limitations for fields from related entities, the state field, partylists, customer and composite fields. But there was no such field in the view.

Further we’ve checked the users security roles. They have a custom role, but it includes all privileges for the parent and child entity.

Next we proved what happens when we remove the editable grid control and use the read only version instead. As a result, everything was ok in the read only grid.

Now I had a look at the browser console and found an error . . . a few times.

As desperation act we gave the user the default sales person security role and were surprised that now everything worked fine.

Identify the missing privilege for editable grids

We compared the two security roles and identified the “prvReadRole” as origin of the issue.
It was set to “None Selected”. I assume it is needed by the editable grid control the check if the user has all necessary privileges to edit the records in his security roles.